For IDT 561 Final Project, I would like to create a learning
activity for high school students who are learning Chinese. Because I’m not
currently working either in China or US, I am planning to ask my friend in the
US to deliver my lesson in her Chinese 1 class after I get all materials ready to teach including the
feedback survey . She will help me obverse students’ performance,
collect and assess their work, and send her and students’ feedback survey back
to me. By this way, I can evaluate my lesson whether is appropriate for the
students and the teacher and make improvements from their suggestion.
At the end of this lesson, students will be able to make a
web site about Chinese New Year using a Web 2.0 tool- Google Sites.
Through this task, students have the chance to explore the culture of Chinese
New Year using Internet resources, promote students multi-cultural awareness
and broaden their worldview on China and Chinese people. This lesson will also
lay the foundation of cultural background before students start to learn the
basic content knowledge of Chinese New Year, like words, set phrases and simple
short sentences in Chinese. Students will work in different groups to research
on topics of history of Chinese New Year (when and why), special food on
Chinese New Year, special activity/entertainment on Chinese New Year, special
decoration on Chinese New Year, reflection and summary (comparison between
Chinese New Year and American New Year). In the end, they pull pieces of
information together in the Google Sites and design their website too.
Great topic! I find it very resourceful how you are able to have your lessons delivered in a high school. This gives you experience in the IDT field already! Google Sites is a great tool to use because it is accessible to everyone. Because these students are creating using Google Sites, your target audience of high school students is very fitting. I do believe that could also be used as a learning activity for an introductory higher education course. Great proposal!
ReplyDeleteLu-It really looks like you have this well thought out, including the action phase of the project. It could be tricky for those of us not actively teaching or training. I am very much looking forward to seeing how this project progresses!
ReplyDeleteMelissa
Google Sites is an excellent tool. I used it extensively for another class that I have taught. I look forward to seeing how the project works out.
ReplyDelete